Document Management Software (DMS) is a software that handles documents creation, sharing, manage, access, edit and track electronic documents and electronic images of paper-based information captured through the use of document scanner.
Using a search engine, a DMS quickly fetches the required files or documents. It helps in digitally uploading and filing various documents.
How do Document Management Software works?
An electronic document management system is used to store and track documents. It originated as a way to convert paper documents to digital documents.
- Document Capture from any source: DMS needs to capture document from any source. Document capture is done through indexing. Indexing is a way to classify a document. The capture of documents can be done in a various way such as follows:
- From paper documents such as through ERP, barcoding, optical character recognition.
- Capture through emails.
- Capture for system-generated reports.
- From any application such CRM,ERP.
- Central Document Storage: DMS gives employees the ability to access documents wherever they are and when needed. Also, DMS gives document security in two forms such are:
- The ability to make revision by checking documents.
- Give control access control.
- Document Retrieval and Distribution: DMS give a feature to able to retrieve documents of any keyword search. Document distribution means to send or distribute documents to customer, vendors, and employee.
- Integrating documents: integrating the documents with ERP software helps document management system in automating the workflow.
Features of Documents Management Software
The features of the best document management software in India are as follows:
- Cloud Access: The document management software has a feature of cloud access as an employee need to upload and download documents at any time and any place.
- Enable access to the latest version of all documents: The DMS alerts every member of the availability of the latest version thus ensuring accuracy in business operations.
- Security and access control: Avoid unauthorized access by implementing role-based permission for file entry and also restrict IP addresses which ensure only right people can open and view files.
- Bulk upload: With the help of software files can be uploaded at bulk and with more efficiently.
- Supports White Labelling: The document management software supports white labeling and thus enables to set your own brand and apply suitable colors, themes, etc.
- Audit trail: The audit trails include the name of the users of the documents, date and time at which file was accessed or edited. It retains the data of all the activities performed on the documents.
- Easy PDF editor: PDF documents can be easily edited with the help of DMS. You can easily add text, customized and rectify the error in PDF itself.
- Mobile apps: Access your files even in tablet and mobile device. This also simplifies image capture of documents and quick uploads.
Types of Document Management Software:
The DMS or EDMS have different type’s software based on their usage and function. Haowever, a variety of online document management software solutions exist, depending upon the basis upon which they are categorized. The various types of online document management systems are as follows:
- Cloud-based: The software is hosted by your vendor and it’s available online. The provider takes care of software maintenance and upgrades at no additional costs. The factor considers before choosing a cloud-based software is dependence on your internet connection and security.
- On-premises/self-hosted: In this setup, the DMS is stored on your company servers. For updates and installation charge vendor charge some additional cost. It varies for vendor to vendor.
Benefits of Document Management Software
- The DMS creates a centralized file repository where documents can be safely stored, managed, and access by team members. It also maintains a consolidated database at one central place so that all documents are managed in a structured and organized way.
- Documents are important to protect. The DMS is important as they protect the documents and only authorized users are allowed to open, view, access files.
- DMS help in finding the files which may be lost due delete of file or poor filing of documents. This can be eliminated with the software and we can retrieve a file without loss.
- DMS tools help to increase mobility by making sure that team member can access documents from any geographical location.
- DMS help to automate the task related to document management leads to increase output saves time, money and effort.
- It also helps in reducing carbon footprint and minimizes the waste of paper, ink, and scan documents as DMS will be taken care of by a single system.
- DMS help in sharing a document between team members allowing them to collaborate in real-time.